to be inspired

aroused, animated, or imbued with the spirit to do something, by or as if by supernatural or divine influence

Friday, November 16, 2012

A piece of me...seamstress style

Pin It Now! For those who don't know me or my story i'll share a little bit of me here and there.
In 2006 I moved (military style) to South Carolina. Leaving behind a job, in California,  I loved and amazing friends to start new in another part of our beautiful country. The uprooting and being sent somewhere you don't choose, is always abrupt, just when you find yourself getting comfortable. It's not easy, a bit exciting yes. Soon after the move I found myself looking for work and going completely stir crazy, stuck waiting for a break. I had this awful need to contribute financially in our marriage (no babies yet). I searched our small town high and low for anything to keep myself going. I saw an ad in the local newspaper for a seamstress job, "willing to train, machine sewing experience a must." This was my break! I ran out, bought a sewing machine and taught myself how to sew the rest of the day in preparation for the test the following day. I needed to at least know how to thread a machine.
I had dabbled in some sewing at this point but by no means was I any good. I smiled, I tried, and I got the job. I worked as a seamstress less than a year, but in the end it was no longer about making good ole minimum wage. The true value was in learning a craft. I wish the shop owner could have slowed down enough to appreciate and value herself, her business, and her employees. Needless to say I'm a go getter. The skill set I learned was invaluable. Life isn't about doing its about learning how to find something that you find rewarding and fulfilling. My next venture may be volunteering locally, working of course around my stay at home mommy job. I feel a calling to help those who are in great need, for I find myself truly lucky to even have a roof over my head. I often complain about the daily task of cleaning..then stop myself..because I'm sure there are people who wish they just had a home to clean.
Here is a piece of a picture I love. I'm sharing it with you like I'm sharing a piece of me...
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover